Published Peer-reviewed Papers
*: Corresponding author
ϴ: Equal contribution with first author
32. Erdem C. U., Ateia M., Liu C., Karanfil T. (2020) Activated carbon and organic matter characteristics impact the adsorption of DBPs precursors when chlorine is added prior to GAC contactors. Water Research.
31. Heu R., Ateia M.*, and Yoshimura C. (2020). Photocatalytic Nanofiltration Membrane using Zr-MOF/GO Nanocomposite with High-Flux and Anti-Fouling Properties. Catalysts Journal.
30. Mousa H., Alfadhel H., Ateia M., Gomaa A., Abdel-Jaber G. (2020). Polysulfone-Iron Acetate/Polyamide Nanocomposite Membrane for Oil-Water Separation. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management.
29. Heu R., Ateia M.*, Awfa D., Punyapalakul P., and Yoshimura C. (2020) Photocatalytic Degradation of Organic Micropollutants in Water by Zr-MOF/GO Composites. Journal of Composites Science.
28. Ateia M.*, Kanan A., Karanfil T. (2020) Microplastics Release Precursors of Chlorinated and Brominated Disinfection Byproducts in Water. Chemosphere.
27. Ateia M.*, Zheng T., Calace S., Tharayil N., Srikanth P., and Karanfil T. (2020) Sorption Behavior of Real Microplastics (MPs): Insights for Organic Micropollutants Adsorption on a Large Set of Well-characterized MPs. Science of the Total Environment.
26. Awfa D., Ateia M.*, Fujii M., and Yoshimura C. (2020). Photocatalytic degradation of organic micropollutants: Inhibition mechanisms by different fractions of natural organic matter. Water Research.
25. Bravo I., Figueroa F., Swasy M., Ateia M., Attia M. F., et al., (2020). Cellulose particles capture aldehyde VOC pollutants. RSC Advances.
24. Khalid A., Rowles L., Ateia M., Minhao X., Moses I., Bello D., Karanfil T., Saleh N., and Apul O. (2020). Mesoporous Activated Carbon Shows Superior Adsorption Affinity for 11-Nor-9-Carboxy-Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Water. NPJ Clean Water.
23. Attia M., Swasy S., Ateia M., Whithead D., and Alexis F. (2020). Periodic mesoporous organosilica nanomaterials for rapid capture of VOCs. RSC ChemComm.
22. Soyluoglu M., Ersan M., Ateia M., and Karanfil T (2020) Removal of Bromide from Natural Waters using a Bromide-Selective Ion Exchange Resin. Chemosphere.
21. Ateia M.*, Alsbaiee A., Karanfil T., and Dichtel W. (2019). Selective PFAS Removal by Amine-functionalized Sorbents: Critical Review of the Current Literature. Environmental Science & Technology Letters.
20. Ateia M.*, Gar Alalm M., Awfa D., Johnson M., Yoshimura C. (2019) Modeling the Degradation and Disinfection of Water Pollutants by Photocatalysts and Composites: A Critical Review. Science of the Total Environment.
19. Ateia M., Arifuzzaman MD., Pellizzeri S., Attia M. F., Tharayil N., Anker J. N., and Karanfil T. (2019). Cationic Polymer for Selective Removal of GenX and Short-chain PFAS from Surface Waters and Wastewaters at ng/L Levels. Water Research.
18. Shimizu Y., Ateia M.*, Wang M., Awfa D., Yoshimura C. (2019) Disinfection Mechanism of E. Coli by CNT-TiO2 Composites: Photocatalytic Inactivation vs. Physical Separation. Chemosphere.
17. Awfa D., Ateia M.*, Fujii M., and Yoshimura C. (2019) A Novel Magnetic Carbon Nanotube-TiO2 Composites for Solar Light Photocatalytic Degradation of Pharmaceuticals in the Presence of Natural Organic Matter. Journal of Water Process Engineering.
16. Ateia M., Cagri U., Ersan M., Ceccato M., and Karanfil T. (2019) Selective Removal of Bromide and Iodide from Natural Waters using a Novel AgCl-SPAC Composite at Environmentally Relevant Conditions. Water Research.
15. Ateia M., Maroli A., Thiraly N., and Karanfil T. (2019) The Overlooked Short- and Ultrashort-Chain Poly- and Perfluorinated Substances: A Review. Chemosphere.
14. Ateia M.*, Attia M., Maroli A., Thiraly N., Whithead D., Alexis F., and Karanfil T. (2018) Rapid Removal of Poly- and Perfluorinated Alkyl Substances by Polyethylenimine-functionalized Cellulose Microcrystals at Environmentally Relevant Conditions. Environmental Science & Technology Letters.
13. Sahu, S.P., Qanbarzadeh, M., Ateia, M., Torkzadeh, H., Maroli, A.S. and Cates, E.L. (2018). Rapid Degradation and Mineralization of Perfluorooctanoic Acid by a New Petitjeanite Bi3O (OH)(PO4)2 Microparticle Ultraviolet Photocatalyst. Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 5(8), pp.533-538.
12. Awfa, D., Ateia, M.*,ϴ, Fujii, M., Johnson, M. S., Yoshimura, C. (2018). Photodegradation of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in Water Treatment Using Carbonaceous-TiO2 Composites: A Critical Review of Recent Literature. Water Research.
11. Shimizu, Y., Ateia, M.*,ϴ, & Yoshimura, C. (2018). Natural organic matter undergoes different molecular sieving by adsorption on activated carbon and carbon nanotubes. Chemosphere, 203, pp.345-352.
10. Ateia M.*, Ceccato M., Ataman E., Akin B., Yoshimura C., Johnson M. S. (2018) Ozone-assisted Regeneration of Magnetic Carbon Nanotubes to Remove Organic Pollutants from Aqueous Solutions. Chemical Engineering Journal, 335, 384-391.
9. Ateia M.*, Koch C., Jelavic S., Quinson J., Hirt A., Yoshimura C., Johnson M. S. (2017) Magnetic Carbon Nanotubes: Facile, Green and Scalable Preparation for Use in Water Treatment. PLOS ONE.
8. Ateia M.*, Apul O., Shimizu Y., Muflihah A., Yoshimura C., and Karanfil T. (2017) Elucidating Adsorptive Fractions of Natural Organic Matter on Carbon Nanotubes. Environmental Science & Technology.
7. Ateia M., Ran J., Fujii M., & Yoshimura C. (2017) The Relationship between Molecular Composition and Fluorescence Properties of Humic Substances. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. doi:10.3390/w8100461
6. Nasr M., Ateia M., & Hassan K. (2017). Modeling the Effects of Operational Parameters on Algae Growth. In Algal Biofuels (pp. 127-139). Springer International Publishing. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-51010-1_7
5. Ateia M.*, Nasr, M.; Ikeda, A.; Okada, H.; Fujii, M.; Natsuike, M.; Yoshimura, C. (2016) Nonlinear Relationship of Near-bed Velocity and Growth of Riverbed Periphyton. Water, 8: 461.
4. Ateia M.*, Yoshimura C., and Nasr M. (2016) In-situ Biological Water Treatment Technologies for Environmental Remediation: A Review. J Bioremediation & Biodegradation 7: 348.
3. Ateia M.*, Nasr, M., Yoshimura, C., & Fujii, M. (2015). Organic matter removal from saline agricultural drainage wastewater using a moving bed biofilm reactor. Water Science & Technology.
2. Nasr, M., Ateia M., & Hassan, K. (2015). Artificial intelligence for greywater treatment using electrocoagulation process. Separation Science and Technology.
1. Al-Amoud, A., Mattar, M., & Ateia M. (2014). Impact of water temperature and structural parameters on the hydraulic labyrinth-channel emitter performance. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research.
More papers in the pipeline
1. Roy I., Evans A., Ateia M., Das, P. J., Shen, D., Castano, I., Lipke, M. C., Beldjoudi Y., Dichtel, W., and Stoddart, J. F. (Under Review) Stitching Cyclophanes in 2D. JACS.
2. Wang M., Ateia M.*, Awfa D., and Yoshimura C. (Under Review) Regrowth of Bacteria after Light-based Disinfection – What do we know and where do we go from here? Water Research.
3. Klemes M., Ateia M., Trang B., and Dichtel W. (Under Review) Supramolecular Adsorbents for the Targeted Removal of Organic Micropollutants. Accounts of Chemical Research.
Oral Presentations / Invited Talks
1. Ateia M. Emerging Water Pollutants Need Innovative & Yet Practical Solutions. Environmental Engineering and Sciences, Eastern Illinois University, Feb. 2020. [Invited Talk★]
2. Ateia M. Efficient PFAS Removal by Amine-functionalized Sorbents: Promises & Challenges. Environmental Engineering and Sciences, Northwestern University, Jan. 2020. [Invited Talk★]
3. Kananizadeh N., Lindsay S., Childress A., Ateia M., Naguib M., Rao A., Popat S. Carbon-Based Air-Cathodes for Hydrogen Peroxide Production in Microbial Fuel Cells. 236th ECS Meeting, Physical and Analytical Electrochemistry, Electrocatalysis, and Photoelectrochemistry, October 13-17, 2019, Atlanta, GA, USA.
4. Ateia M., Attia M., Thiraly N., Whithead D., Alexis F., and Karanfil T. Near-instant removal of poly- and perfluorinated alkyl substances by polyethylenimine-functionalized cellulose microcrystals. American Chemical Society (ACS) 257th National Meeting and Exhibition, April 2019, Orlando, FL, USA. [Awarded ★]
5. Cates E., Qanbardazeh M., Wang D., Ateia M., Torkzadeh H. Degradation of PFAS using the BOHP/UV process: Photocatalysis mechanisms and pilot study results. American Chemical Society (ACS) 257th National Meeting and Exhibition, April 2019, Orlando, FL, USA.
6. Soyluoglu M., Ateia M., Ersan M., Karanfil T. Removal of Bromide from Natural Waters: Bromide-Selective vs. Conventional Ion Exchange Resins. South Carolina Environmental Conference (SCEC), March 2019, Myrtle Beach, SC.
7. Khalid, A., Ateia, M., Karanfil, T., Pagsuyoin, S., Bello, D., Apul, O. Adsorption of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol by Carbon-based Adsorbents. American Chemical Society (ACS) 256th National Meeting and Exhibition, August 2018, Boston, MA.
8. Ateia M., Johnson M S., and Yoshimura C. Ethylene Glycol Improve the Performance of Oxidized Carbon Nanotubes to Remove Organic Pollutants from Aqueous Solutions. The Fifth international education forum on environment and energy science, San Diego, USA. Dec. 2016.
9. Ateia M., Johnson M S., and Yoshimura C. Magnetic Carbon Nanotubes for Organic Dye Removal from Aqueous Solution. The Fourth international education forum on environment and energy science, Hawaii, USA. Dec. 2015.
10. Saavedra O., Yoshimura C., Negm A., Ateia M., et al. A Platform for Integrated Water Resources Management for Mega Deltas Under Climate Change JSPS Mega Delta Project. International Water Technology Conference (IWTC), Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, 12-14 March 2015.
11. Ateia M. & C. Yoshimura. In-situ Biological Water Treatment Technologies for Environmental Remediation: A Review. International Water Technology Conference (IWTC), Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, 12-14 March 2015.
12. Ateia M., C. Yoshimura and M. Fujii. Organic Matter Removal from Saline Agricultural Drainage Water by Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor. The Third international education forum on environment and energy science, Perth, Australia. Dec. 2014. [Awarded ★]
13. Ateia M., M. Nasr C. Yoshimura, and M. Fujii. Effect of Salinity on Organic Matter Removal from Polluted Agriculture Drainage Water by Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor. 9th IWA International Symposium on Waste Management Problems in Agro-Industries, Kochi, Japan. 24-26 November 2014. [Awarded ★]
14. Ateia M., P. Sui,C. Yoshimura and M. Fujii. Floating Plastic Media for Removal of Organic Pollutants In Agricultural Drainage Water. The second international education forum on environment and energy science, California, USA. Dec. 2013.
15. C. Yoshimura and Ateia M. Development of In-situ Wastewater Treatment Systems and its Application to Agricultural Drainage Water. Project meeting of JSPS Core-to-Core Program (Mega Delta Project), Alexandria, Egypt. Nov. 2013.
16. Ateia M., P. Sui, C. Yoshimura and M. Fujii. Floating Plastic Media for Removal of Organic Pollutants in Agricultural Drainage Water. International Water Technology Conference (IWTC), Istanbul, Turkey. Nov. 2013.
17. Ateia M., P. Sui,C. Yoshimura and M. Fujii. Application of Suspended Bed Biofilm Reactor to Remove Organic Matter from Agricultural Drainage Water. Tokyo Tech-KU joint seminar, Tokyo, Japan. Oct. 2013. [Awarded ★]
1. Ateia M., Yoshimura C., and Johnson M S. Ozone Recycling of Spent Carbon Nanotubes for Water Treatment Applications. CARBONHAGEN, Copenhagen, Denmark, 17-18 August 2016.
2. Ateia M., Johnson M S., and Yoshimura C. Magnetic Carbon Nanotubes: Regeneration Methods and Perspective for Removal of Chemical Substances in Wastewater. Honda Y-E-S Forum, Tokyo, Japan, 18 November 2015. [Awarded ★]
3. Ateia M., O. Saavedra, C. Yoshimura, K. Nadaoka and S. Kanae. Integrated Water Resources and Environmental Management for Asian and African Mega Deltas Under Climate Change Effects. GEOSS Joint Asia-Africa Water Cycle Symposium, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan. Nov. 2013.
4. Ateia M., P. Sui,C. Yoshimura and M. Fujii. A Packed-Bed Reactor For Removal of Organic Pollutants in Agricultural Drainage Water. Joint Seminar of JSPS Core-to-Core Program (Mega Delta Project), Ho Chi Minh City, Vientam. Aug. 2013.